Friday, December 6, 2013

Cornbread

  While trying to figure out what we were going to have for supper tonight (Does anyone still use that term anymore?!) I wanted something that wouldn't take much effort to prepare but still stick to your ribs.  So I went and did a freezer raid and came up with a ham steak.  I thought about the whole breakfast at night idea, nah I use more eggs than I thought possible and besides making biscuits are more mess than I wanted and pancakes take time with all their checking and flipping- I was feeling lazy! Then lightbulb! Cornbread!! Silly me, so easy to whip up and hardly any dishes are dirtied while making it!

Cornbread:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup of sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Combine all of these dry ingredients in a large bowl, I just give them a good stir or two!

Then add:

1/2 cup oil
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Add to dry ingredients and whisk until nicely combined.

Now there are a few options on how it's baked. I like using cast iron, I love the crispness and flavor it gives the bread.  If you'll be using this method add a little oil to the bottom of your skillet (mine is a 10") and heat until hot.  You'll want the oil to hot enough to essentially "fry" the bottom of the bread.  Just leave on a few seconds you'll just want the bottom to start frying, this will give it a little crust. Place in the oven and bake for 17-19 minutes, keep check on it because time varies. You'll want the edges to be golden brown.  Cool and enjoy!

Now the second option is to spread the batter into a greased square cake pan (8"x 8" or 9"x 9") Bake for 20-25 minutes. Again you'll want the edges to be golden brown.  Baking it this way you will get a softer "crust".  Cool and Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment